Built circa 1820 - 1830 of whole pebble flints with red brick dressings. Gable
thatched roof. The main front is to the south, which shows the house to be of two storeys in three bays. There is a
late 19th century outshut against the east gable wall, and a late 19th century two-storey extension to the west.
The original house has a central plank door under a segmental arch and behind a 20th century trellis porch. There
is a 3/3 sash window right and left and two to the first floor. The ground-floor ones have segmental arches and
that to the left (west) has horns. The roof has internal gable-end stacks east and west.
The west return has the two-storey extension. the ground floor of this is of
whole pebble flints and came first, then a brick (red brick, Flemish bond) second floor has been added in the early
20th century. One 3/3 unhorned sash to the ground floor under a segmental head. The roof is gabled and clad in
corrugated tiles except for the lowest course, which is of concrete corrugated tiles. External stack to the west
gable. The north side of the extension has a staircase turret added when the upper floor was put on. There is a
plank door next to it, under a segmental arch, and a 3/3 unhorned sash to the first floor.The roof tiles on this
side are all of concrete. there is a lean-to between the stairs and the main house wall. There is one late 19th
century two-light casement to the first floor of this main wall
The east return has a lean-to outshut connecting the house with the boundary wall
running along the road-line. this has been added in the late 19th century. The south aspect has a late 19th century
two-light casement under a segmental head, and a blocked window to its right (east). the east gable of the main
house has a two-light late 20th century first-floor casement.
The north aspect of the house has a full-length contemporary outshut. A plank
door leads into the kitchen, flanked by a late 19th century casement to its right and a late 20th century casement
lights the dairy. All these openings are under segmental arches. on the west parapet is the stack serving a former
The inside of the house has plank doors on strap hinges, dating from around 1840.
The dining room has dado plank panelling inserted by the BBC in 1984 while using the house as a film
location (what film???): it is apparently made of fibreglass. The sitting
room has a picturesque plate rack, also of BBC origin in 1984. the dairy retains its
benches: eight to the north and south walls.
Pair of barns of different dates, converted to use as a picture gallery and tea
rooms in about 1988, and then converted to a restaurant in about 2002. To the north is a three-stead barn of the
early 20th century. it is of whole coursed pebble flints with red brick dressings. gabled roof clad in pantiles. It
has to the rear a full-length outshut with various plank doors. The east face had a wide central cart doorway, now
converted to a glazed element. Abutting to the south, with its own set of brick quoins, is the original mid 19th
century outbuilding. Viewing from the east, this has the lower courses of flint and the upper courses of red brick
laid in English bond. There is a window under the eaves, reduced in height. The interior is virtually all of
1988-9. In the south part is an early 20th century animal feed trough. An inserted staircase in the rear outshut
leads to a new upper floor. The roof has been replaced.
Families Living at Delph Farm
1875 to 1902 D. CLARKE - Farmer
1902 to 1925 George ENGLISH - Farmer. Sometime in this period
the farmland was taken in with Hall Farm.
1925 Walter LONG - Bailiff to E. KING of hall farm
1926 to 1929 Ernest KING Jnr. - Farming Hall and
Delph Farms with his father.
1946 to early 1990s Mr & Mrs Ted BECK living in house
Name changed to Poppylands in late 1980s.