GET IN TOUCH! News, Information or Questions. Email us at:



Kelly's Directory, 1896 

HORSEY is a parish and village, 4 miles north from Martham station on the Eastern and Midlands joint railway, about 11 miles north-by-west from Yarmouth, and 21 from Norwich, in the Eastern division of the county, Tunstead and Happing petty sessional division, Happing hundred, Smallburgh union, Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Waxham (Happing division), archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. This parish was frequently flooded until purchased by the late Robert RISING snr of Horsey Hall who, by repairing the sea bank and draining the marshes, brought it to a high state of productiveness. He also constructed a road to Somerton, which is of great advantage to the inhabitants. the church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower, round at the base and octagonal above and containing one bell: on the north side is a memorial window, erected in 1872 to the Rev. Edward P. NEALE, vicar 1857-1870 (died 1871), and in the chancel three to the RISING family: the finely-carved rood-screen is a work of the 13th century: the church was restored in 1855, at a cost of £300 and has 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent charge £61, net yearly value £105, including 47 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Robert RISING, esq. and held since 1889 by the Reverend Stafford Meredith Brown. The poor's allotment of 9A.3R.9P awarded at the inclosure in 1816 is now (1892) let for about £12 yearly, which sum is distributed in coals. Horsey Hall, a mansion of brick, rebuilt in 1845, is the seat of Mayson M. BEETON, esq. The trustees of the late Robert RISING, J.P. (died 1885) are lords of the manor, and principal landowners. The soil is mixed: subsoil clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. Here is a Coastguard station. The area is 1,942 acres of land and 129 of water known by the name Horsey Mere; rateable value £1,297; the population in 1891 was 155.

LITTLE WAXHAM, formerly ex-parochial and annexed to Waxham, is now, under the Divided Parishes Act,  amalgamated with this parish; it has an area of about 300 acres. Bernard James CUDDON-FLETCHER, J.P.  of Somerton is lord of the manor and sole landowner.

POST OFFICE - Mrs Margaret GOOSE, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 8am and are dispatched at 4.30pm and 1pm on Sundays. Postal Orders are issued here but not paid. Martham is the nearest money order and telegraph office. 

NATIONAL SCHOOL (mixed) - built by the late R. RISING Esq in 1858 and enlarged in 1894 by the trustees of Horsey Hall Estate, for 50 children; average attendance 39; Mrs Mary A. SMITH, mistress.
Assistant Overseer, Richard Rogers of Martham.

BEETON, Mayson M.  Horsey Hall
BROWN, Rev. Stafford Meredith, (vicar) The Vicarage
BECKETT, John -  farmer
CLARKE, Daniel - farmer
DACK, George  Nelson's Head P.H. and farmer
GOOSE, Margaret (Mrs) - shopkeeper Post Office
WEBSTER, William, gardener to Mayson M. Beeton, esq.



Horsey Photohistory

A Genealogical CD, in PDF format so can be read by any computer, containing almost 200 high quality photographs, all from private sources, depicting the life and times of this idyllic Norfolk Broadland village.

Never-before-seen photographs of the Horsey Flood of 1938, together with people and events in village life, covering the past 120 years.

Cost of CD, including postage and packing to any destination is