GET IN TOUCH! News, Information or Questions. Email us at:



Kelly's Directory, 1912 

HORSEY is a parish and village, 4 miles north from Martham station on the Eastern and Midlands joint railway, about 11 miles north-by-west from Yarmouth, and 21 north-east from Norwich, in the Eastern division of the county, Tunstead and Happing petty sessional division, Happing hundred, Smallburgh union, Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Waxham (Happing division), archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. This parish was frequently flooded until purchased by the late Robert RISING snr of Horsey Hall who, by repairing the sea bank and draining the marshes, brought it to a high state of productiveness. He also constructed a road to Somerton, which is of great advantage to the inhabitants. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower, round at the base and octagonal above and containing one bell: on the north side is a memorial window, erected in 1872 to the Rev. Edward P. NEALE,M.A., vicar 1857-1870 (died 1871), and in the chancel three to the RISING family: the finely-carved rood-screen is a work of the 13th century: the church was restored in 1855, at a cost of £300 and has 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value about £58, including 47 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dowager Viscountess Massereene and Ferrard, and held since 1911 by the Rev. William Edward MATTINSON, B.A. of trinity College, Dublin.  The Poor's allotment of 9A.3R.9P awarded at the inclosure in 1816 is now (1912) let for £11 12s 6d yearly, which sum is distributed in coals. Horsey Hall, a mansion of brick, rebuilt in 1845, is occupied by Lord Lucas and Dingwall. the Dowager Viscountess Massereene and Ferrard is the lady of the manor, and principal landowner. The soil is mixed: subsoil clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,942 acres of land, 129 of water known by the name Horsey Mere, and 73 of foreshore; rateable value £1,470; the population in 1911 was 157.

Sexton: Charles Bensley
Assistant Overseer: John Henry Burton

LITTLE WAXHAM, formerly ex-parochial and annexed to Waxham, is now, under the Divided Parishes Act,  amalgamated with this parish. Bernard James CUDDON-FLETCHER, Esq. of Somerton, and Dunans, Argyllshire, is lord of the manor and sole landowner. 

POST and TELEGRAPH OFFICE - Mrs Margaret GOOSE, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 8am and 4.25pm and are dispatched at 9.30am and 4.45pm and 9.25am on Sundays. The nearest money order office is at Martham.
A board of 6 managers was formed March 1904; 4 foundation managers, 1 appointed by parish and 1 by County Council;  ???     chairman; correspondent, C.J. KIRKHAM, 28 Hall Plain, Great Yarmouth

PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (mixed) - built by the late R. RISING Esq in 1858 and enlarged in 1894 by the trustees of Horsey Hall Estate, for 50 children; average attendance 27;                    , mistress.
Assistant Overseer, Richard ANDREWS
Sexton, Robert ROUSE

Lucas and Dingwall, Lord   Horsey Hall
MATTINSON, Rev. William Edward, (vicar) The Vicarage
ANDREWS, John  Nelson's Head P.H.
ANDREWS, Richard, (Mrs.)  farmer  Kerrison Farm
BEAN, John  gamekeeper to Lord Lucas and Dingwall
BURTON, John Henry - farmer and assistant overseer
ENGLISH, George, farmer
GOOSE, Margaret (Mrs) - shopkeeper, Post Office
LOVETT, Edward - head gardener to Lord Lucas and Dingwall.
MYHILL, William Robert - farmer  Street Farm.



Horsey Photohistory

A Genealogical CD, in PDF format so can be read by any computer, containing almost 200 high quality photographs, all from private sources, depicting the life and times of this idyllic Norfolk Broadland village.

Never-before-seen photographs of the Horsey Flood of 1938, together with people and events in village life, covering the past 120 years.

Cost of CD, including postage and packing to any destination is