GET IN TOUCH! News, Information or Questions. Email us at:



Kelly's Directory, 1925 

HORSEY is a parish and village, 4 miles north of Martham station on the Eastern and Midlands joint railway, about 11 miles north-by-west from Yarmouth, and 21 north-east from Norwich, in the Eastern division of the county, Tunstead and Happing petty sessional division, Happing Hundred, Smallburgh union, Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. This parish was frequently flooded until purchased by the late Robert RISING esq. of Horsey Hall who, by repairing the sea bank and draining the marshes, brought it to a high state of productiveness. He also constructed a road to Somerton, which is of great advantage to the inhabitants. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower, round at the base and octagonal above and containing one bell: on the north side is a memorial window, erected in 1872 to the Rev. Edward P. NEALE, M.A. vicar 1857-70 (died 1871), and in the chancel three to the RISING family: the finely carved rood-screen is a work of the 13th century: the church was restored in 1855, at a cost of £300, and has 120 sittings. the register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £210, and 20 1/2 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1925 by the Rev. Richard Gilbert Keppel Hart, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The poor's allotment of 9A.3R.9P awarded at the inclosure in 1816 is let for £21 yearly, which sum is distributed in coals. Horsey Hall, a mansion of brick, rebuilt in 1845, is the property and residence of Baroness Lucas and Dingwall. Baroness Lucas and Dingwall is lady of the manor, and principal landowner. The soil is mixed: subsoil clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,932 acres, 129 of water known by the name Horsey Mere and 73 of foreshore; rateable value, £1,584. The population in 1921 was 127.

LITTLE WAXHAM, formerly ex-parochial and annexed to Waxham, is now, under the Divided Parishes Act,  amalgamated with this parish. Bernard James CUDDON-FLETCHER, esq., J.P.  is lord of the manor and sole landowner.

POST and TELEGRAPH OFFICE - Frederick Robert GOOSE, sub-postmaster. Letters through Great Yarmouth. The nearest money order office is at Martham. 

The children attend the school at West Somerton.

GAGE, Sidney, The Cottage, Little Waxham
HART, Rev. Richard Gilbert Keppel, M.A. (rector) The Rectory
LINFORD, William George,  Kerrison House
Lucas and Dingwall, Baroness, Horsey Hall
ANDREWS, John, Nelson's Head P.H.
ANDREWS, Richard, (Mrs), farmer, Kerrison Farm
BANE, John Robert, Gamekeeper to Baroness Lucas and Dingwall
BLOOMFIELD, Fredk. Geo. head gardener to Baroness Lucas and Dingwall
BURTON, John Henry, farmer and assistant overseer, Hall Farm
ENGLISH, George, farmer and landowner, Street Farm
Flegg District Nursing Association (Miss ASHBY, nurse)
GAGE, Sidney, farmer, Warren Farm
GOOSE, Frederick Robert, shopkeeper, post office
LINFORD, William. farmer, Fords Farm
LONG, Walter, bailiff to E.G. King, esq. Delph Farm
MILLWALL, Sam, grazier, Warren House, Little Waxham
PEGGS, George, smallholder



Horsey Photohistory

A Genealogical CD, in PDF format so can be read by any computer, containing almost 200 high quality photographs, all from private sources, depicting the life and times of this idyllic Norfolk Broadland village.

Never-before-seen photographs of the Horsey Flood of 1938, together with people and events in village life, covering the past 120 years.

Cost of CD, including postage and packing to any destination is