Post Office and Stores
Originally a two-story thatched building, which
became one storey as the result of a fire. We do not have a date for this.
The house, part of which was used as a Post Office
until 1975, was built in the mid 18th century. In colourwashed red brick laid in Flemish bond under a hipped
pantile roof. There is a rear outshut of coursed whole flints with brick dressing. The east bay is a late 19th
century addition. The rear elevation has a brick washhouse.
Families Who Lived at Post Office and
1865 John GOOSE has shop at
1880's Mr T and Mrs M GOOSE and family at the
1890 Mr T and Mrs M GOOSE - Grocer,
Draper, Coaldealer, Post Office. Mr Thomas GOOSE may also have done some farming.
1900 Mrs GOOSE (as above) - House
extended to accommodate extra family.
1915 Mrs GOOSE
1923 Mrs GOOSE dies. Post Office
run by Fred and Beatrice GOOSE (Son and Daughter-in-Law)
1929 Fred GOOSE dies - wife runs
1930 Mrs Beatrice GOOSE helped by
her daughter Freda HAZELL, who lives with her. (Freda's husband and son Robert also live there)
1938 Mrs B. GOOSE and Mr &
1961 Beatrice GOOSE dies. Mrs
HAZELL runs Post Office and Shop
1974 Closure of Post Office and
1998 Mrs HAZELL
2001 Converted to 2