White's Directory, 1836
HORSEY-NEXT-THE-SEA is a hamlet on a gentle
eminence, 11 miles N. by W. of Yarmouth, and one mile from the beach, comprising within its parish 111 inhabitants
and 1600 acres of land, exclusive of Horsey Mere, a lake of 112 acres. Robert RISING, Esq., the present owner,
purchased the manor of Sir G.B. BROGRAVE, Bart., and others, upwards of 30 years ago, when it was of little value,
being generally flooded; but this gentleman, by repairing the sea-bank, draining the marshes, planting quickthorn
hedges, and making a road to Somerton, rendered it one of the most fertile estates in the county.
The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's
books at £3 1s 5 1/2d., and augmented from 1739 to 1788, with £800 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. William REES is
the incumbent, and the patronage is vested with the Trustees of North Walsham Free School, to whom 147 acres were
allotted at the enclosure, in lieu of rectorial tithes.
On the sea-bank, within the bounds of Horsey parish, is LITTLE WAXHAM, a manor of 160
acres, belonging to Lord Baybrooke, and formerly a parish; but its village and the Church, dedicated to St.
Margaret, were swept away by the incursions of the ocean many years ago. Robt. RISING, Esq. has a neat house in
Horsey; Thomas MORTEN keeps the Nelson's Head Inn, and the following are FARMERS; viz: Wm. CHAPMAN; Dd. HAYLOCK;
Wm. MYHILL; Wm. PEROWNE; John PLANE and Wm. WATTS.